Thursday 7 June 2012

But I Am Le Tired

Dragon Bridge in Ljubljana.
Today has been a very low key day so far.  As lovely as Ljubljana is, there actually isn't much in the way of sights to see.  It's a wandering city, with cute cafes, open air markets and restaurants lining the rivers and canals that are described as Ljubljana's heart.  We had a long brunch in one such cafe, enjoying the view over the river towards Ljub's Castle Hill and various Cathedrals, though not as much as we enjoyed the chocolate mousse and raspberry chocolate cake that followed our meal.  We're back in the hostel we booked now.  It was a bit strange to arrive in the dark and be carted off to ˝the other location˝ a ways across town, but it all turned out ok, despite a hostel owner who tried to cheat me out of €20 and who told us to figure our own way back into town (thank God for maps).  Kel seems to have caught the cold I was fighting for the past week, and so it's actually been nice to have a day that really only consisted of walking around, looking at bridges and pretty buildings.  This afternoon I'm going to head to the train station to figure out our travel to lake Bohinj, in the North of the country, in the foothills of the Alps, where we are looking forward to a break from cities to laze in the sun, read, and swim.
The quaint and colourful streets of Ljubljana.
Triple Bridge in Ljubljana.
Dragon Bridge.  That one wants to grow up into a big one.

4 comments:

  1. I just looked up Lake Bohinj on Google Images - awesome !! I hope you have an uneventful train journey there. I am more than a little envious of all your adventures and sightseeing and photo-taking opportunities ! Oh and not to mention the Austrian pastries, chocolate mousse and chocolate raspberry cake - whereas I am soon heading to the land of "bangers and mash" and "mushy peas" ! ;) Just kidding, I know there will be some tasty fare in the UK !

    I hope you get your fill of smaller towns/less crowds/wilderness before heading to London later this month ! I am enormously happy to think of you and Hanna connecting at Herstmonceux and/or London - just 3 weeks from now; wow ! Meanwhile; have fun and thanks for continuing to share yor stories with us! XOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Low key sounds good. Time enough to ward off the travel flu. Peaks and valleys! A little go go go, a little rest rest rest.

    I can't wait to see pictures of the Lake. I'm sure it's absolutely stunning. Here's hoping you have warm, wonderful weather :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like my mom, I googled Lake Bohinj- and wow, it looks stunning. What a beautiful place to slow down a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the story about ending up at the ballet instead of the opera! Do you ever listen to the CBC program "Definitely Not The Opera"? I think you should be careful if you sign up for any guided hikes - you might end up bungy jumping!

    Take care of Kelly and stay healthy.

    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete