Monday 21 May 2012

The Polish Language Has Too Many Consonants

Normally, I wouldn't say I have anything against consonants, but words like szczyt defy pronunciation.  Kelly and I have had a bit of an interesting time today trying to cobble together various Polish sentences, which I believe came out sounding a bit like "Train how much! Krakow to!  Money!"  However, armed with a phrasebook, winning smiles, and pleading looks, we've managed to travel from Luton Airport in London to Krakow, the center of "Lesser Poland".

My first impression of Krakow is that it is stunning.  It hasn't ceased to amaze me that many of the buildings we pass nonchalantly were built in the 13th- and 14th-centuries.  The architecture is gorgeous, and with monks and nuns walking across cobbled streets, it's easy to let your imagination carry you away in this atmospheric city.  The people we have met thusfar have been very kind and altogether willing to listen to our fractured Polish.  The train from Rzeszow, where our flight landed, took a lot longer than we had anticipated, so we arrived in Krakow at dusk.  In the soft light, we wandered past Rynek Glowny, the enormous medieval town square, with its stunning architecture and crowds of locals and tourists alike, and Wawel Hill, the iconic center of the old city, which is an enormous castle and cathedral, which dominate the skyline.  We are staying at Panda Hostel, located in Kazimierez (formerly the Jewish quarter), and it's been lovely so far.  The staff are polite and helpful, the rooms are clean, and it's a steal of a deal at ~$10/night.  We enjoyed a stereotypical but very delicious first meal of perogies and beer in a town square near our hostel, and mostly just reveled at having finally met up for our European adventure!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for your first impression post! So glad that you and Kelly met up and that all your planning is now being set in motion. Keep the stories coming. Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! REAL pierogi. So amazing. None of this frozen cheemo nonsense.

    I could teach you guys some Polish, though I can only hint at their meaning. I only know that they come from my father and they are usually only said when he's rather upset. On second thought, you may not want to casually drop them into conversation.

    How wonderful it all sounds. And this is only just the beginning. I can't wait to hear more and see some pictures :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great first day! I'm glad everything's going well so far :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey D2 ! So happy to see your first post from Europe ! I hope you had a good day in London too. Greatly looking forward to seeing some photos when you get a chance :) XOX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hay their Jaslyn! Sew goode two here from ewe. Eye kan imagine it's tuff communicating with all those consonants!

    I love the description of your first day in Europe, and I can imagine it with the sounds of you and Kelly laughing, the strange smells that are always different than home, the tastes of foreign foods in their authentic setting.

    I anticipate a more sober reflection on today's experience at Auchwitz. I still remember the "heavy" feelings I had after my day at Dachau, so many years ago...

    Love from Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone!
    Especially Mom. That was a drink of vowel water in the consonant desert.
    xx

    ReplyDelete